Skip to Content

Leaving Ecuador

Well after meeting some really nice people and places in the Amazonian side, our opinion of Ecuador was slowly improving. Sadly, the Aduana officials guaranteed that this will be a country that we never want to visit again.

After a 2 hour ride we got to the border and appeared to have done the formalities, we bought a coke and chatted to the local kids. 2 minutes latter, the fat aduana guy came out and told us that there was a problem with the papers. We argued for 5 minutes, before he went to lunch for an hour. After lunch, he walked over to the Peruvian side of the border for an hour before coming back and told us that the computer systems were down and would magically be fixed at 4pm. At this point, we were getting really pissed with him, and tried to get the papers back to go to another border crossing. He refused and suggested that we should pay him 10% of the value of Chris´s bike to leave. So without anything to do, we got a cop to try and get our papers back and started getting personal details. This seemed to work in blocking the bribe, but he didn´t give the papers back & refused to show ID and we still had to wait till 3.30 before he walked his fat ass over to the phone to "get confirmation" that the papers were correct.

By 4.30pm, we made it to Peru.

After stamping in we visited the Peruvian aduana and got the news that we couldn't get both bikes in as both were in Alan's name. We were stunned. We wondered back to the bridge and contemplated what to do next with the bikes that were sitting in no-mans land. With the forward path blocked and the backwards path looking unlikely, we really considered dismantling one of the bikes, damaging each part with a rock and throwing the pieces into the river. The girls from customs saw us and hit up the aduana guy on our behalf. As we found out latter, he was simply to lazy to see if we could import both, and we recon he was friends with the Ecuadorian officials and that they had hit him up to be difficult to us. Another hour latter, we were through, right on dusk, and we rode for an hour to the nearest town, glad to be across the border.